Time: 30 minutes
Who doesn’t love a classic Rice Krispie Treat? They are delicious and remind me of my childhood. But what if you “spiced” them up a bit with some extra ingredients? I decided to incorporate my favorite baking flavors into these classic treats. These Rice Krispie Treats included browned butter, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. They taste like a Snickerdoodle with the marshmallow goodness of a class Rice Krispie Treat. Enjoy this simple, but classically delicious dessert!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14 ounces of marshmallows (I like to use mini because they melt faster)
- 6 cups of Rice Krispie cereal (200 grams)
- In a large stock pan, melt the butter until browned. Browning butter is easy, but don’t take your eyes off of it! At first, your butter will foam up, but as it heats further, the foam will subside. Then you will start to see the goldening of your butter along with little brown specks inside. This is the browning process. It will have a rich, nutty aroma. It’s easy to overcook this, so once you see the brown specks start to emerge, it’s time to stop the browning by removing from heat or moving to your next step.
- Once the butter is browned, add your brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Cook on low heat until very well incorporated and a little thick from the brown sugar (about 5 minutes).
- Next, add your marshmallows and continually stir until they are melted and combined with the butter/sugar mixture.
- Remove the pot from heat and add your Rice Krispies in 2 batches. It can be difficult and sticky to mix, but don’t worry; you really cannot ruin this recipe! Do the best you can to fully incorporate the cereal into the marshmallow.
- Next, add the mixture to a parchment or foil lined pan. Then press the treats into the pan until tightly packed. I like to use a gloved hand that is either greased with a bit of butter or sprayed with non-stick spray. This will help you more easily press your treats into the pan without your glove sticking.
- Allow them to cool and then slice them into squares. Enjoy!