Prep Time: 45 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Total TIme: 1 hour 30 minutes
Does anyone else have chocolate lovers in the family? My mother is one of those people. Last year on her birthday I made a beautiful chocolate bundt cake. I searched online for a recipe that would be similar to cupcakes my Grandmother always made. Sadly, I never got the recipe from my Grandmother before she passed, but I was able to find and adapt something to remind me of those cupcakes! This has been my go-to chocolate cake since then. It reminds me of my childhood. A beautiful, moist chocolate cake with the wonderful taste of coffee.
And besides the wonderful taste, it’s super simple to make with only 1 bowl needed – that’s always a plus in my household.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup of unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup of strong coffee (cooled to room temperature)
- 1 cup of buttermilk (room temperature)
- ½ cup full fat sour cream (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare your pan(s) by greasing with butter or cake nonstick spray
- Combine all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add room temperature wet ingredients.
- Combine until just mixed.
- The batter is on the thinner side – that is appropriate.
- For a bundt cake; bake for 45-50 minutes. For 2 round 7” pans bake for 30-35 minutes. Remember, based on where you live, your oven and the types of pans you use the baking time can vary. As a rule of thumb, set your timer for the lowest time and then continually check after that until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.