Loading the player...
Servings: 4 Artichokes
Time: 35 – 40 minutes
We always had steamed artichokes as children. I didn’t realize until later in life that this vegetable is not super common to prepare at home – at least not fresh ones. And in discussions with people I realized many are intimidated to make them! So I decided to write up a recipe because it is surprisingly easy to make steamed artichokes with dipping sauce. The below recipe utilizes an Instant Pot, however you can just as easily use a pot with a steamer insert.
- 2-4 Artichokes
- 1 ½ cups of water
- Seasonings for water (optional): Rosemary, lemon, garlic
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup of nonfat Greek yogurt
- Minced garlic (jarred)
- 2 teaspoons lemon (juice from about ½ a lemon)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut about ½ inch off the top of the artichokes, then trim the outer leaves using kitchen shears. Rinse the artichokes.
- Add water and seasonings (optional) to Instant Pot along with the rack insert.
- Place artichokes bottom/stem side up.
- Set the instant pot on 15 minutes. Natural release for 5 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure. Remove from Instant Pot with tongs. If using a regular pot on the stove, you will steam for about 35-40 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the bottom of the artichoke.
- While the artichokes are cooking, mix your aioli.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream and yogurt. You can use any combination of these 3 – I prefer an equal ratio of the three products.
- Add minced garlic (I like using jarred minced garlic when I’m not cooking my garlic so the flavor isn’t overpowering), fresh lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.