Prep Time: 30 minutes
It was about 10 years ago that I discovered the beauty of homemade buttercream. I was just beginning to learn how to decorate cakes and cupcakes. Once you realize how much easier it is to pipe homemade frosting and how rich and decadent it is – you won’t go back to store bought. Full disclosure it is a very sweet frosting, but if sweet is your thing, you will love this vanilla buttercream. If you only have salted butter in your home – don’t fret – just skip adding the salt.
- 2 cups unsalted butter (4 sticks) softened
- 7 cups of powdered sugar (2 lbs bag)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3-4 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (use clear if you’re going for super bright white frosting)
- Using a stand mixer is the easiest way, but it is by no means necessary. Either using handheld beaters, or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream your butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add salt and vanilla and combine.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, while alternating a teaspoon or so of heavy cream in between.
- Use your heavy cream to get desired consistency.