Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: Makes enough for a 4 layer cake.
Let me tell you, it’s easy to tell the difference between homemade cake filling verses already prepared. Although prepared fillings are so convenient and tasty too, homemade filling has a special quality to it. So if you have the time, I recommend trying to make your very own strawberry cake filling. It’s a very simple process and can be made with lots of different fruits. You can use this filling for more than just cakes! Use it in thumbprint cookies, linzer tarts, or as an ice cream topping!
- 16 ounces frozen or fresh strawberries, no sugar added
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- ½ a lemon, juiced
- If you’re using frozen strawberries, let them thaw by leaving them out in a bowl for about 10 minutes. This will allow you to cut them up a bit if they are whole and speed the cooking process a bit. I use whole strawberries and once thawed, I use kitchen shears to cut them into smaller pieces straight in the bowl – no mess!
- Combine your fruit, sugar, corn syrup and lemon juice in a medium pot. Mix to combine
- Bring the mixture to a boil on medium-high.
- Once boiling, lower the temperature to medium and allow it to simmer. Stir often to prevent sticking! This is an easy recipe but you shouldn’t leave it unattended!
- You’re going to simmer and stir until you get to your desired consistency. For cake filling I like to make sure it’s thick and not runny..
- Once your fruit is thick and no longer runs off the spoon when stirring, you will transfer the fruit to a bowl and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Once cooled, you are ready to use your fruit!