Loading the player...
Cook Time: 45 minutes
What a great little treat to scatter in a tray of cookies or to give as a lovely gift at any time of the year. Enjoy these lovely caramel chews that are not as difficult to make as you might think!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons of bourbon (optional and amount based on preference)
- In a large pot, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer until the mixture becomes golden.
- Once the mixture gets golden, you will want to move onto the next steps quickly as it browns very quickly.
- Turn the heat all the way down and very, very slowly whisk the cream a tiny bit at a time.
- Once all combined, add salt, vanilla, and bourbon.
- Using a candy thermometer, bring the caramel to a temperature of 260-275 to give you a firm caramel candy.
- Carefully pour the hot caramel into a aluminum foil or parchment paper lined rectangle baking dish (approximately 8”x11”)
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove from the dish and then peel foil or paper.
- Cut into small rectangles and wrap in wax or parchment paper individually. Use a very sharp knife for this. Grease the knife with kitchen spray to help keep the caramel from sticking if you run into that problem.
- Store in the refrigerator and enjoy cold or at room temperature.