This is barely a recipe, it’s so simple! Whether you are trying to be fully natural or maybe you need to be super careful about food allergies in your baking, making natural food coloring from foods is a great option! This recipe will yield enough food coloring to dye 1 cake’s worth of frosting a light pink. Of course the yield will vary based on the size and freshness of your beet, so have a few on hand if you want a darker pink color.
1 fresh red beet
- Boil 1 beet in water until you can easily pierce with a fork.
- Allow the beet to cool off so that it can be easily handled.
- Peel your beet with a vegetable peeler
- Grate your beet to a fine shred
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl.
- Place your shredded beet into the strainer and using a spoon, squeeze the beet shreds so that the juice is released into the bowl.
- Your natural pink food coloring is ready!